Thursday, February 7, 2013

"Hawaii" in Bonggok-dong, Gumi (South Korea)


     That building behind me houses public showers, hot tubs, and saunas in Bonggok-dong.  They call it "Bonggok-dong Hawaii."  After walking a kilometer to my gym and discovering I had misread the calendar for its holiday closing dates, I decided to walk another kilometer to enjoy the showers and hot tubs at "Hawaii."  For 5,600 Korean wons, I could enjoy bathing for as long as I wanted.  While there, I decided that I would do the same thing in Seoul on this weekend.

     On the calendar, Monday is a "red" day because of the Lunar New Year's Day.  I decided I will visit Yoido Full Gospel Church in metro-Seoul on Sunday.  On Saturday, I will go, by train, to Seoul and spend the night at Silloam Fire Pot Sauna where I can workout, relax in saunas, soak in hot tubs, shower, and sleep on a bed in a huge quiet temperature controlled sleeping room for about 12,000 Korean wons.  




     It wasn't the first time I had been to a public shower in Korea, and (so) it wasn't the first time I'd seen so many big bellied men.  And, it wasn't the first time I noticed that none of them were talking to one another.  

     Anyway, I enjoyed taking care of my business (even though noticing they were looking at me -- the only foreigner in the room and the only one with blue eyes).

No comments:

Post a Comment